Comments

Comments:
Alex Tappen
Jacob Cohen
Matt Graeff

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Blog Post 2: WhoScored?


What really inspired my idea to create a system to rate soccer players based on their statistics is WhoScored. They are also a website that rates soccer players based on their statistics. Their cool graphics, teams, and interesting facts that I saw on Twitter led me to follow them and learn all about their player ratings as well. They are very big and continue to gain recognition by the world's best leagues as they can be found all over social media, or on their website or mobile application. There, you can find a break down of many specific statistics about leagues, teams, and individual players that can be filtered by things such as position as well as nationality among many more.



WhoScored is explained here. WhoScored's ratings come as a product of an algorithm that uses over 200 statistics. What they have access to that I do not is a full time data provider (they use Opta) that will be able to put my own algorithm together. This will make things a lot tougher because, at the least, I will have to enter my own data into a calculator that can automatically use my formula. A potential challenge I still face, however, may be having to enter and calculate all data on my own.


I will definitely be using WhoScored as one of my primary resources and I look forward to learning more about soccer and creating my own algorithm and statistics.

3 comments:

  1. Would like to start seeing your ideas about a system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WhoScored seems like a cool website and I look forward to seeing how you interpret the data and come up with a way to look into the statistics. The graphics are interesting and I was just wondering if you will be putting together any tables like the one for top goalkeepers after applying your algorithm. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I know that programs like Excel allow you to add in a formula and then type in the variables and it will give you the answer without you needing to physically do the calculations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Jake! I will definitely consider using Excel.

      Delete